Catholic commentary on culture, media, and politics.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

A question I have for God

I'm an absolute baby when it comes to getting a cold or flu. Embarrassingly wimpy. I now have a cold, probably related to the forest fire micro-pollutants that are currently floating around the Los Angeles area. My wife got it, too (as did our three-year-old) the same day the smokey plumes of the Topanga Canyon fire made their ominous way into our valley. There's an odd haze in the air like fog save no humidity.

I don't understand the point of colds. Character development? Lessons in patience, or on ultimate dependence upon the divine Physician? Beats me.

All I know is, having one sucks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suck it up, Patrick! You sound like my husband. When he has a cold, he is dying.

Claritin works well if you're all stuffed up. Alka Seltzer is good for clearing you up before bed.

And liquor. Hard liquor. (=

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

No one can take away my right to moan endlessly over comparitively small sufferings!

Uh, which hard liquor do you recommend?

11:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I change my mind. Go to your nearest Chinese restaurant and ask for some hot mustard packets. This is an organic way to burn out your sinus cavity.

3:51 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

No speakee the Chinee. Me want 18-year-old Scotch. Me go blow my nose. Again.

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Mag: a pleasure to "meet" you. You write with such a youthful and spritely tone, I'd have never guessed that your offspring have offspring. Fret ye not about boasting. We have two kids under three and counting. Two knock-out princesses. Their momma is a Peruvian queen, so if their virtues match their beauty, they'll be canonizable.

Amen to your Liberal Party speculation. Funny.

BTW, I support an exception to the Church's opposition to human cloning if it means we get 100 more Fred Henrys to sit on diocesan cathedras.

10:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home