Catholic commentary on culture, media, and politics.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Naomi debuts in nine days

Our third daughter, Naomi Rose, is set to be born on Thursday, September 14, by C-section. Through our worries, fears and apprehensions, our precious cargo has drawn all of us closer to the Lord.

Those of you who are parents know that calling things like this "difficult" is the world's biggest understatement. We still don't know much of anything about what her condition will bring.

All we know is, she seems to have a small portion of extra chromosomal material on the ninth chromosomal pair. Technically it's called partial trisomy 9q, partial monosomy 9p.

Whatever. I'm frankly tired of reducing her to some arcane science jargon. Naomi is our baby, as important to God as I am. We're crazy about her already. Her two older sisters are going to positively soak her in love every day.

She may need heart surgery at birth, for there seems to be a choarctation (an over-narrowing of the aorta near the heart). Or maybe not. She may need to be intubated to help her breathe at first. Or maybe not.

Welcome to the no man's land we've trodden for seven months. My wife and I are starting a Novena tonight, which will end on Naomi's day of birth, the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross.

Any prayers you can spare will be so greatly appreciated. Thanks to them, Naomi has beaten the odds to a tremendous degree already.

Pope John Paul the Great, ora pro nobis.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you know something's not exactly right, and you can prepare a little. You can have a priest standing by to baptise her, the heart surgeons can be alerted, MRIs done, whatever they do. It may not be the bonding experience you would prefer, but you, the father, can follow the baby wherever she may need to go (in the hospital) to advocate for her and protect her. Cell phones aren't allowed in hospitals, so maybe you bring a designated runner, to go between you and the mother, who will be in recovery herself, to keep her informed and her mind at ease.

I had a son born with pulmonary stenosis, which was undiscovered until after he was born. The doctors would tell me nothing until they had done a heart catheterization, which had to be done in a different town. Everything had to be arranged in emergency fashion, including asking my mom to come across the country to help. It was chaos, but ended well, thank God. Still, I'd rather know up front, I think. You are all in my prayers. We are still all in God's hands.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Good ideas, anon. Esp the runner volunteer. The whole medical team will be on stand by that day, at the top children's hospital in the western US, so from that POV we're pretty set.

Thanks!

10:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick,
When Kateri was born (at 24 weeks) the nurses handed me a Polaroid, since they had to whisk her right away. I still get choked up thinking about how thoughtful that was.
Always praying for you all!

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Choked up? Because a nurse gave you a pic of herself?

Kidding! That was thoughtful indeed. Mariella began contractions at 22 weeks with Mariclare, plus 80% effacement. THAT was an ordeal as well, although she didn't emereg until a miraculous 38 weeks. These kids better treat us well when we're in the home!

Thanks for the prayers, Empress Justinia. Our "flower child" (sweet) still needs 'em.

I'll keep y'uns posted. (Did I just write y'uns?)

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it was a Polaroid of myself and I got choked up because I hadn't realized how fat I was already at 24 weeks.

2:13 PM

 
Blogger CJ said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you as the time draws near to meet your little one! God bless!

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Thanks a lot, PJ Mama! Really appreciate it.

2:19 PM

 
Blogger CJ said...

I'm hoping and praying you are all doing well.

10:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home