Catholic commentary on culture, media, and politics.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Steve Martin: national treasure

I remember my dad and I laughing -- rolling on the floor howling -- to my first Steve Martin album, "Let Gets Small."

His comedy persona is as subtle as it is unmistakeable. Here's snippet of why I'm a fan:

It's very hard being one of the most beautiful people. Having this kind of beauty is actually a burden. Sometimes I go to a party and not one of the other 49 most beautiful people is there. That makes me feel very solitary and alone, because it means I am the most beautiful person in the room. If I'm going to a party where I know there will be "less-beautiful people," I try to "dress down" in order to hide my beauty. But this seems to have a counter-effect of actually making me more beautiful. I guess me and dungarees are a pretty potent combination.

I try not to lord my beauty over others. But this is very hard. I try not to mention that I am one of the most beautiful people, but somehow it always comes out. I will usually only bring it up when I'm asked to do a task, like open a garage door. People seem to enjoy my beauty and are genuinely happy for me, because after I mention it they always say, "How nice for you."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you think this is funny because...???

2:36 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

"For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who don't, no explanation is sufficient."

- Pascal

And you bothered to comment because...?

10:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I adore Steve Martin (and why did that guy leave that comment?). What prompted this post I must ask?

9:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home