Catholic commentary on culture, media, and politics.

Monday, August 06, 2007

Another post, for Justine

When Barry Manilow opines that the Copa Cabana is "the hottest spot north of Havana," he fails to specify whether he's a) referring to the nightclub's indoor ambient temperature or its hipness, nor whether b) he means only due north of Havana or all clubs above Havana's latitude worldwide.

And don't get me started on the ambiguous view expressed by Whitney Houston that the children are somehow our future, or her cryptic claim to have decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadow.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to disagree Patrick, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

3:34 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

PB: I admit it. I'm set straight. You've converted me. And I'm agog at not having examined it in this light.
Now if only I could shake the thought that "Saving All My Love" is really about adultery....

4:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out who "the people" are in her song My Love Is Your Love when she sings:

"If I should die this very day.
Don't cry, cause on earth we wasn't meant to stay.
And no matter what people say.
I'll be waiting for you after judgement day."

PDP

11:13 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Those are the very same individuals as "they."

8:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Now I'll be able to keep down my lunch.

"The Greatest Love of All" was my eighth grade graduation song. It moved us teenie-boppers to tears.

My favorite rendition of Copa Cabana:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eek-XeZvHn0

10:30 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Barry Manilow, gay man, covered by Liza Minelli, gay man icon. Makes a sort of sense.

I'd like to hear Pavarotti cover "It's Not Easy Being Green."

1:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home