Catholic commentary on culture, media, and politics.

Friday, November 21, 2008

Magic Castle brushes with fame

Last night my wife and I had an evening at the sumptuous Magic Castle in Hollywood, a private club for magicians. It's the last social club in LA where a strict dress code still reins. Coat and tie for men, cocktail dress or elegant attire for women. I was invited through the good graces of Irene Larson, honorary president for life of the Academy of Magical Arts. Mrs. Larson apparently didn't hate the tricks I did for her and her daughter at Musso & Frank's Restaurant last week.

In addition to meeting and talking with the legendary magicians Johnny Thompson (there would be no Criss Angel, no Lance Burton, and no Penn & Teller but for the Great Tomsini) and Eugene Burger (Chicago's top magician and nationally known teacher of magic) we sat next to spritely (fellow Canadian) actress Neve Campbell in one of the small theatres in the Castle.

The whole night was a real treat and a half.

5 Comments:

Blogger Justine said...

Whoa! So many posts since I was here last! I didn't come prepared. Just stopping by with an annoying Tag, You're It. (See comments for official tag.)

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

J:

How does this meme thing work? How can I vex and annoy friends who did me no harm? Do I write my own list and then copy it somehow to my forwarding email to said innocent friend?

lol

1:07 PM

 
Blogger Justine said...

You're not going to get out of it by pretending you don't know what a meme is. Six quirks. List 'em, then pass it on.

1:17 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

I know what a meme is, but, as a Christian I always had a conscience issue with paying one forward. jk.

So I just hand it on to one other victim, I mean person? How did you make it into a link thingie in my comment box?

1:09 PM

 
Blogger Justine said...

You can use this code for leaving links in comments boxes:

here.

It always takes a few tries for me to get it right.

12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home